Monday, August 20, 2012

Brock Surfing!

Brock stood up on his first wave this weekend! From a family of surfers this is right up there with college graduation - we are all so proud of him! Cory got choked up, mommy was cheering, and Pa and Arthur were just plain STOKED! Here is how it went down: We had been at the beach all week and Brock was totally hooked on boogie boarding. He was going out and catching wave, after wave, after wave by himself! After a couple days of this he decided it was time for surfing. I went out with him and was giving him a little push into the waves - he was paddling and catching them like a pro. Each time he would paddle out to me he would say, "Mom, am I in the middle of the board...am I straight?" Then he would reenact his last wave with me - it was clear he was hooked! I tried to stick to small waves, but he was fearless and would tell me, "This wave is too small". After a while I told him I thought he was ready to stand up. He told me, "First I'm going to go on my knees, then when I can do that I will stand up on my knees, then when I can do that I will stand up" - he had it all planned out in his head and I told him it sounded like a good plan! Intense little dude he is!! So I wasn't sure when he would try it and knowing Brock I was not going to encourage it at all. By some luck, Cory had the camera rolling when he decided it was time! I love that Pa goes crazy and gives Brock his first high five. So that is the story of the first wave and here it is for you to enjoy with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment